Author Topic: Ukraine: The Birth of a Nation (4 part documentary)  (Read 736 times)

Offline Karpivna

• Слава Україні!
Ukraine: The Birth of a Nation (4 part documentary)
« on: November 21, 2013, 11:17:56 AM »
A brilliant historical documentary film in 4 parts about the history of Ukraine, made by film producer Jerzy Hoffman, covers 4 chronological divisions from early times to the present. Highly informative, fast-paced and colorful, the film is a first of its kind! A professionally-made, interesting, generally balanced and informative documentary film that covers all of Ukrainian history.  It contains rare film footage, good cinematography and Hoffman's perceptive summaries of distinct historical periods. In English- no subtitles.

Part I "From Rus to Ukraine"
Ukraine - The Birth of a Nation. Part 1 of 4. From Rus to Ukraine

Part II "Ukraine or Little Russia?"
Ukraine - The Birth of a Nation. Part 2 of 4. Ukraine or Little Russia?

Part III "Together Forever"
Ukraine - The Birth of a Nation. Part 3 of 4. Together Forever

Part IV "Independence"
Ukraine - The Birth of a Nation. Part 4 of 4. Independence

Offline Prelja

Re: Ukraine: The Birth of a Nation (4 part documentary)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 08:00:46 PM »
A brilliant historical documentary film in 4 parts about the history of Ukraine, made by film producer Jerzy Hoffman, covers 4 chronological divisions from early times to the present. Highly informative, fast-paced and colorful, the film is a first of its kind! A professionally-made, interesting, generally balanced and informative documentary film that covers all of Ukrainian history.  It contains rare film footage, good cinematography and Hoffman's perceptive summaries of distinct historical periods. In English- no subtitles.

Part I "From Rus to Ukraine"
Ukraine - The Birth of a Nation. Part 1 of 4. From Rus to Ukraine

Part II "Ukraine or Little Russia?"
Ukraine - The Birth of a Nation. Part 2 of 4. Ukraine or Little Russia?

Part III "Together Forever"
Ukraine - The Birth of a Nation. Part 3 of 4. Together Forever

Part IV "Independence"
Ukraine - The Birth of a Nation. Part 4 of 4. Independence

Thanks Karpiva for this post. I didn’t know that Jerzy Hoffman made such documentary  :)

After short research I found some background info about this movie.

"In spring 2004 there I came across a book by ex-President of Ukraine, Leonid Kuchma "Ukraine is not Russia". Title surprised me. For us Poles, it is clear that Ukraine is Ukraine, and Russia is Russia. I read the book and it created a series of reflections in me. I thought, 'What not to trace the history of how the nation has been formed? And why not to make a movie about it?’ - Jerzy Hoffman tells the story of the genesis of the movie. The director faced a great challenge which was the presentation of a huge amount of historical facts, supplemented by culture and customs descriptions. While preparing for the realization of the movie, the director visited a number of archives, museums and other institutions.

The premiere screening of the film took place in June 2008 in Lviv. In December 2008, the film was put into distribution in four language versions: Polish, Ukrainian, English and Russian, for US and Canada markets."

Source

Jerzy Hoffman during making a movie

Online rodv

• Ethnicity: Rusynrican
Re: Ukraine: The Birth of a Nation (4 part documentary)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 11:48:05 PM »
Great post,  will be watching it over the weekend.  Will see if there's any parts to use in my classes, when we get to the Eastern Europe unit. 

Thanks