Author Topic: Polish the hardest language to learn?  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Prelja

Polish the hardest language to learn?
« on: January 22, 2014, 11:30:19 PM »
Hardest language to learn

Source

The most challenging language only for the strong and the brave is Polish. Most others are easy in comparison.

Ordinal ranking on how hard a student has it to for second language acquisition.

1. Extremely Hard: The hardest language to learn is: Polish – Seven cases, Seven genders and very difficult pronunciation. The average English speaker is fluent in their language at the age of 12, in contrast, the average Polish speaker is fluent in their language after age of 16.

2. Very Hard: Finnish, Hungarian, and Estonian – The Ugric languages are hard because of the countless noun cases. However, the cases are more like English prepositions added to the end of the root word. However, anyone arguing Asian languages like Korean trump Uralic languages in complexity, really needs to hit the books and do more research.

3. Simply Arduous: Ukrainian and Russian – Second language learners wrongly assume because these languages use a different script (Cyrillic) that it out ranks Polish. This is not objective, as an alphabet is only lets say 26 letters. It is really the pronunciation and how societies use the language that influences ranking. Ukrainian and Russian complex grammar and different alphabet, but easier pronunciation. (the Poles use a modified Latin alphabet which does not have a neat orthography fit to the sounds of their language). Slavic languages have sophisticated case and gender systems, also something that approximates a complex tense system with aspects of time-verb relationships.

4. Challenging contender jockey for position: Arabic - Three baby cases which are like a walk in the park compared to the above, but the unusual pronunciation and flow of the language makes study laborious and requires cognitive diligence if you want to speak it.

5. Fairly Hard: Chinese and Japanese - No cases, no genders, no tenses, no verb changes, short words, very easy grammar, however, writing is hard. But to speak it is very easy. Also intonations make it harder, but certainly not harder than Polish pronunciation. I know a Chinese language teacher in NYC that has even authored an the authoritative book on modern Mandarin says people pick up Chinese very easy. This same teacher,  if multilingual yet could not learn Polish. I am learning some Chinese, it is not the hardest language maybe even one of the easiest language to learn.  Despite prideful proclamations of armchair linguists, to verbalizes Asian languages in general are not top ranked by any measure. Try to learn some Chinese and Polish your self and you will see which is the hardest language.

6. Average: French - lots of tenses, but not used and moderate grammar. German-only four cases and like five exceptions, everything is logical, of course.

7. Easy: Spanish and Italian - People I know pick these up no problem, even accountants and technical people rather than humanistic language people.

8. Basic to hard: English, no cases or gender, you hear it everywhere, spelling can be hard and British tenses you can use the simple and continues tense instead of the perfect tenses and you will speak American English. English at the basic level is easy but to speak it like a native it’s hard because of the dynamic idiomatic nature.

Please consider the exhibit below. This is one Polish word. It is the word ‘to read’, but contains many forms. Every word in Polish must agree with the other words in the sentence, therefore, there are almost an infinite number of combinations in one sentence.

;D

Online SvetovidSlovenski

• Global Moderator
Re: Polish the hardest language to learn?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 01:09:49 AM »
Polish phonology is maybe hard but not so hard to learn. I need half of year to lear it. When I learned phonology, Polish language become so easy...for me are some of other languages from this pyramid much more harder.

Język polski nie jest najtrudniejszym ale najseksowniejszy na świecie! To jest moja opinia :)

Offline Prelja

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 01:53:54 AM »
Polish phonology is maybe hard but not so hard to learn. I need half of year to lear it. When I learned phonology, Polish language become so easy...for me are some of other languages from this pyramid much more harder.

Each Slav is able to learn the other Slavic language within a maximum 6 months. The advantage is when he/she lives for a while among those Slavic people whose language he/she wants to learn. For non-Slavs it is a hardcore :D I also heard that each Slav can be fluent in meżduslavianski within a week. Maybe I will try some day :) Can be hardcore as well lol

Język polski nie jest najtrudniejszym ale najseksowniejszy na świecie! To jest moja opinia :)

To je istina bre :)

Online Jaromir

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:01:59 AM »
I'm surprised,  Serbian is not on the list. :)

Online SvetovidSlovenski

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 11:10:34 AM »
Each Slav is able to learn the other Slavic language within a maximum 6 months. The advantage is when he/she lives for a while among those Slavic people whose language he/she wants to learn. For non-Slavs it is a hardcore :D I also heard that each Slav can be fluent in meżduslavianski within a week. Maybe I will try some day :) Can be hardcore as well lol

I agree that for Slavs is not so hard but even for foreigners is not so hard. It depends also how close are to this language in linguistic way. For example for people who speak language that use phonemic nasal vowels Polish can be so easy. For me is Russian or Arabian are much more difficult because of orthography, phonology, etc.

To je istina bre :)

Mówi po serbsku i cały świat ciebie zrozumie! Ciesze się, że mówisz po serbsku ale jestem Słoweńcem :) Spróbuj jeszcze raz powiedzieć po słoweńsku :)

Serbian can't be on the list because is spoken worldwide :D Until now I have meet one black and italian guy who were speaking serbian fluently :D So this is true :D

And you must see this....youtube.com/watch?v=VIXKPIbHtr0

Offline Mokosz

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 06:48:41 PM »
I think that it's impossible to single out the hardest language...

But I must admit that Polish has a lots of irregularities, which makes it quite difficult and there are many languages with more intuitive grammar...

Offline Prelja

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 07:29:38 PM »
Mówi po serbsku i cały świat ciebie zrozumie! Ciesze się, że mówisz po serbsku ale jestem Słoweńcem :) Spróbuj jeszcze raz powiedzieć po słoweńsku :)
Hahaha  Nawet nie wiedziałam, że to jest serbski :D Dla mnie chorwacki, serbski i bośniacki są nie do odróżnienia. Najważniejsze, że zrozumiałeś. Wiem, że jesteś Słoweńcem, ale po słoweńsku nie będę ryzykować, bo nic nie umiem ;)

Offline Xekoslav

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 04:48:03 PM »
Hahaha  Nawet nie wiedziałam, że to jest serbski :D Dla mnie chorwacki, serbski i bośniacki są nie do odróżnienia. Najważniejsze, że zrozumiałeś. Wiem, że jesteś Słoweńcem, ale po słoweńsku nie będę ryzykować, bo nic nie umiem ;)

The 'bre' at the end of the sentence 'gave away' that its Serbian ( as opposed to Croatian or Bosnian). It is slang word with no real meaning but used exclusively in Serbia.

Offline Prelja

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 06:38:49 PM »
The 'bre' at the end of the sentence 'gave away' that its Serbian ( as opposed to Croatian or Bosnian). It is slang word with no real meaning but used exclusively in Serbia.
Thanks for clarification :)

Online SvetovidSlovenski

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 06:52:18 PM »

A słoweński nie tak samo jak serbski :) Musisz się nauczyć słoweńskiego, nie jest to trudne ;)

Your are not right. Bre is turkish word: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bre

Offline Prelja

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 07:28:24 PM »
A słoweński nie tak samo jak serbski :) Musisz się nauczyć słoweńskiego, nie jest to trudne ;)
Nie jest trudne? Próbowałam czytać to co pisze Povhec i nic nie rozumiem. On chyba używa jakiegoś dialektu :D

Online Shaokang

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 01:59:50 AM »

Because Serbian has 7 million speakers top, and as such is not interesting to people, but then there is Estonian on the list and I can't think of a person who would like to learn Estonian ;D

Online Štajerc

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 01:04:59 PM »
Nie jest trudne? Próbowałam czytać to co pisze Povhec i nic nie rozumiem. On chyba używa jakiegoś dialektu :D

Don't mind that, he always whites in dialect. The problem with this is that the vowels seem to have disapeared and words making no sence, but if you know where to put all the ə sounds in between it works well. :)

Offline Vújpívdjen

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 07:11:04 PM »
Depends. I find Polish to be somewhat easier than Ukrainian, but that's maybe due to the fact that I was raised in a predominantly Polish area, so I got used to reading and saying Polish words. My vocabulary is far more Ukrainian/Russian than Polish, but I prefer to write in Polish even though I have no problems with Cyrillic; looks like some sort of "Polakranian" language.

It's mostly cause my calligraphy looks better when written in Polish.

Offline Fidler

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 05:57:43 PM »
I could never agree with this pyramid,.. I would say Arabic, and Chinese language ar the hardest,.. at leas for us Slavs...